For the Students:
* Before Class: Practice! Work on anything that you are having trouble with and be sure to ask for help if you need it. Instructors will be here and would be glad to help you out.
* Bowing: This is an important part of showing respect for the dojo, instructors, and higher ranks. Students shall bow in and out of every room they enter or exit.
* Attention: Remain quiet and focused during class. Don’t fidget, turn around, or look away from an
instructor. To show that you are listening, look directly into the eyes of the person who is talking,
whether it is a senior student or an instructor. If you need to yawn, cough, sneeze, or fix your
uniform; turn around to the back of class. This shows respect for your instructor and fellow students.
* Class Participation: Since everything we do is a team effort, it is important to count along with
the rest of the class. Instructors like to hear loud and clear counting from the entire class and you
should be a part of it. This is not shows that you are listening and paying attention, but it is shows
respect for your peers who are following the directions.
* Kiai (Spirit Yell): The Kiai is an important aspect of Karate. We try to motivate you to be the best
that you can be. One of the ways that we can tell if you are trying your best is through the
demonstration of power and focus while performing your Kiai.
* Respect the Higher Ranks: Rank is about responsibility, not about privileges. As you gain more
experience and move up the ranks, consider it your duty to be a role-model for those that follow.
It rests upon you to show others the way. Show proper etiquette and work ethic if you expect others
to do the same.
* Asking Questions: It is very important to ask questions. If you are not sure how to do something,
and you don’t ask, it is not possible for you to improve yourself. We want everyone to get past their
shyness and ask questions. This is what the instructors are here for. Always remember, “There is no
such thing as a dumb question.”
* Receiving Answers: Listen and learn from your mistakes. If an instructor or senior student corrects
you, listen to them. Do not argue with anyone, especially with an instructor. Arguing is not
respectful and does not help you to succeed.
* After Class: Ask questions! Instructors stick around a few minutes after class. If you need help with
anything, please ask, and an instructor will gladly help. Students may not exit the building without
their parent present.
For the Parents and Family:
* Pickup/Drop-off: We encourage parents to drop their children off 10-15 minutes before class and
pick them up promptly (no later than 10 minutes) after class. Parents wishing to stay for class are
more than welcome.